Monday, March 9, 2009

Congratulations to Emannuel for his GB Kids team sponsorship!


Last year I began hearing about this kid, Emannuel, that was a natural jiu jitsu talent. I didn’t think much of it until I finally had the chance to meet him and watch him grapple. The first day that I met Emannuel, I showed him series of moves (snap the head to guillotine, pull guard, wait for the person to hand fight then switch to the triangle, then when they go to posture to defend do a back arch over and into mount and finish the triangle from there or switch to armbar). He picked up the series after only a few tries. I was floored. I taught a portion of this series in my adult class and many people, adults, had trouble with it.

I knew at that moment, Emannuel was something special. I have been coaching Emannuel since I took over the kids class last summer and am inspired and humbled by him every day. He is not only an amazing grappling talent but also one of the most focused, driven and caring people I have met. He is a leader in every sense of the word and is a tremendous asset to the kids program.

In an effort to recognize and foster his talents, Emannuel has been teamed with local business man, Johnny Flavin, who will act as a sponsor and mentor. Johnny is a financial advisor in Seattle and a former collegiate wrestler. Johnny credits wrestling to opening doors and opportunities in his life and is generous to want to open doors for the next generation of grapplers and leaders.

A luncheon was held at the Columbia Tower Club on February 20 to formally announce the sponsorship to Emannuel and to introduce he and his mother, Wednesday Ardena to Johnny, as well as UFC fighter Ivan Salaverry. Emmanuel, as usual, shocked and impressed everyone by discussing his latest reading, Germs, Guns and Steel. Emmanuel is an A student and enjoys reading, writing and dancing. The sponsorship will be contingent on Emannuel's continued academic and personal excellence and will create a relationship between Johnny, Emannuel, his family and myself, all working together to help Emannuel achieve victories on and off the mat.

I look forward to continuing to work with Emannual and watch him excel in every aspect of his life. I am also excited to build additional mentor/sponsorship opportunities and continue to grow children’s grappling in the northwest. thanks to everyone who has made this possible.

Congratulations again to Emannuel Ardena!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment